No Filipino casualties from collision between ACX Crystal and USS Fitzgerald — DFA
Posted: 2017-Jun-20 06.00.19 UTC+0800
MANILA — The Department of Foreign Affairs said Saturday that the PHL Embassy in Tokyo has been advised by Japanese authorities that there are no Filipino casualties so far from the collision that happened at 2:30 a.m. Saturday about 56 nautical miles southwest of Yokosuka, Japan.
The ACX Crystal, a Philippine-flagged vessel, was being manned by 20 Filipino crew including the Captain. They are safe. The ship itself was slightly damaged from the incident, DFA said in a statement.
Earlier, DFA said it was closely monitoring reports of the collision.
DFA said it was coordinating with the relevant authorities including the governments of the US and Japan to determine exactly the extent of damage and the number of casualties, especially if any Filipino nationals were involved.
The ship is being ported back to Tokyo Bay and all crew have been instructed to remain aboard pending their interview by Japanese authorities later Saturday, it said.
The PHL Embassy will continue to coordinate with authorities on the mater and a team has been dispatched to meet the ship upon arrival and to extend the necessary assistance to the Filipino seamen, DFA also said.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and colleagues of the injured and missing US personnel, including Cmdr. Bryce Benson, the USS Fitzgerald's commanding officer," it added. (PNA)